Author Topic: v1.1.3a Released  (Read 36036 times)

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
v1.1.3a Released
« on: March 02, 2017, 09:34:55 PM »
Adds speed increase as well as decrease, some fixes for Z-Suiteā„¢ 1.8.x compatibility.

http://www.z-temp.co/Downloads/RaftAway.zip
"Character is doing what's right when nobody's looking." - JC Watts Jr

0xdeadbeef

• View Profile
Re: v1.1.3a Released
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 11:44:17 AM »
This was originally planned as test version to check if the speedup is beneficial. So potential users should keep in mind that this feature is more or less untested.

One thing that I forgot to mention in the RTF (and the included changelog) is that v1.1.3 will now modify the printing time by dividing by the speed multiplier.
Like a 2h job printed with 50% should now be displayed as 4h job. Note that while this might be somewhat correct for slowing down, it might be inaccurate when speeding up.
As the speedup functions limits the movement speed to 8000mm/min and the "normal" quality mode on the m200 uses speeds that high, these limitations are not considered.
So 125% speed with a 2h job will result in 1h 36min (120/125*100 = 96), no matter if some movement speeds are limited or not.

ChunkyPastaSauce

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 05:36:02 AM »
I printed the new extruder cover, the larger part, at 125% in normal mode @ 0.19 layer. 

Print is so clean, I need to print a second one at normal speed to see what the difference is... if any.

Also, if the initial z-axis touch off is impacted by speed change (z-axis movement), might want to exclude it

« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 05:46:37 AM by Z-Owner »

0xdeadbeef

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2017, 05:54:53 AM »
The height sensing is done in firmware, so it's not influenced by ZCode patches.
Note that in "normal" quality mode, most jumps already use the maximum speed, so they are not accelerated.
All other (printing) movement should have been 25% faster, so some additional ringing etc. is expected.
Then again, if the print is still clean, this speedup feature doesn't seem so pointless after all.
Have you checked if the printing time was decreased compared to the original Z-Suite estimation?

ChunkyPastaSauce

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2017, 06:01:26 AM »
The height sensing is done in firmware, so it's not influenced by ZCode patches.
Note that in "normal" quality mode, most jumps already use the maximum speed, so they are not accelerated.
All other (printing) movement should have been 25% faster, so some additional ringing etc. is expected.
Then again, if the print is still clean, this speedup feature doesn't seem so pointless after all.
Have you checked if the printing time was decreased compared to the original Z-Suite estimation?

Ok that's good to hear the height sensing is in firmware, I was suspecting that but wasn't sure so a little bit nerve racking.

I'm going to print 2 more sets, one at normal speed and one at normal +25% and externally time both of them.

The ringing is not bad, actually can't tell the difference without something to compare against, lettering clean and clearly readable. There was some minor stringing and and maybe something going on the seam... but again need to compare, would have figured normal part.

ChunkyPastaSauce

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2017, 04:38:49 PM »
Normal speed: 141 minutes
Normal +25%:  122 minutes
+- 1 minute.

higher res http://i.imgur.com/ed9xqxU.jpg?1

Stringing identical, seams are identical. Minor increase in ringing at lettering, but not enough to be clearly visible.
If I remember right, infill structure quality seemed not as good (but works). The rafts, I mixed up and can't tell a difference.

So kinda looks like can go further than the '+25%' setting, especially perimeters and maybe raft.

Also thanks for your work
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 01:12:57 PM by Z-Owner »

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2017, 07:09:04 PM »
Nice! I assume this is ABS - I'm skeptical that PLA can be pushed to these speeds but I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

ChunkyPastaSauce

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2017, 08:11:12 PM »
Yes Z-ABS @ '0.19' um, normal print speed, smart bridge off, everything else default except '+25%' speed in raftaway. Also just measured a few random points, all within a few thou of reference print.

I usually print at 0.14 and 0.09, so I'm interested to see what happens there. Assuming same result, big time saver.

I have no experience with PLA.  I'm thinking with z-glass there will be problems though, due to pressure (I have serious problems with it by default, I'm hoping slowing down feed will make it so I can print it reliably).

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2017, 08:27:53 PM »
Yes, slowing down the print speed to 50-75% makes printing a lot of "balky" materials like PLA and flexibles possible and/or easier. Also seems to greatly improve the surface finish of PLA prints. The slowdown is particularly effective with certain layers of the raft, which call for high extrusion rates, and support which normally goes too fast for PLA or flex to keep up with.

hackerdaz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 04:16:15 AM »
I can also confirm that there is no noticeable surface quality change after printing the same part with a printing speed increased 125%. The only observed difference is a weight change of 3%. The part with normal printing speed had a weight of 12.8gr, whereas the speedy part weighted 13.4gr. ABS was used for both parts.

0xdeadbeef

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 12:46:45 PM »
I must admit that I'm surprised to hear that the increase in speed also increased the weight. Honestly, I'd have expected the opposite.
Like I found it plausible to assume that the higher speed would lead to a certain amount of under-extrusion in infill.
Then again, what do I know about 3D printing ;) ?

ChunkyPastaSauce

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 03:21:40 PM »
I measured 17.9285g (reference), 17.9233g (+25), 17.8598g (+25).

hackerdaz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 05:38:05 AM »

It seems that it is part dependent. The one that I have printed, has very limited infill. What about yours?

ChunkyPastaSauce

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 07:02:57 AM »

It seems that it is part dependent. The one that I have printed, has very limited infill. What about yours?

I had low infill set, I may have observed inflll quality degrade somewhat (but really would have to watch again, i normally print in high quality).  It might be good to separate raft, perimeter, infill, support %speed from each other... I think perimeter and possibly raft possibly can be printed even faster.

On the part weight, would have to print a series of reference prints to get a baseline on variance of normal parts to compare against. Is it strength you're worried about? I checked dimensions and they were same.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 01:14:27 PM by Z-Owner »

hackerdaz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 09:10:48 AM »
Time measurements for two identical parts:

Normal speed estimated (Z-suite): 186min
Normal speed real: 218min

+25 speed estimated: 149min
+25 speed real: 198min

Gain: 20 min ~10% overall

There is no visible quality change of the perimeters. Thus, they can be printed using a higher speed than +25%. On the other hand, some minor issues during infill creation.
I think that in order to become a countable option, a speed jump up to 150% should be an option.