Author Topic: Raftaway 1.1.0 Released, Adds Speed Multiplier  (Read 23906 times)

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Raftaway 1.1.0 Released, Adds Speed Multiplier
« on: February 10, 2017, 06:39:30 PM »
Now available from the usual place http://www.z-temp.co/Downloads/RaftAway.zip

You can set speed scaling anywhere from 50 to 100%. So far the results have been spectacular: 10 different types of TPA, TPE, and TPU that we were previously unable to print with, all printed great when speed was reduced by 50% from Z-Suite "Normal" quality speed.

Actually, they all printed pretty well at full speed now that RaftAway can remove the raft - it was the high extrusion rates called for during raft printing that caused failures in the past. But with reduced speed, even the "fast" features like support and infill print with no underextrusion. So far we've only tried 50%, but I think 70% or even 80% should work.

Here's a list of flexibles tested successfully today:

NinjaFlex
TreeD Flex Mark 7 TPU
Treed Flex Mark 9 TPU
FilaFlex
TreeD UltraFlexx TPE
TreeD UltraFlexx+ TPE
TreeD FlexAbility TPA
TreeD Flexability+ TPA
eSun eLastic TPE

TreeD's catalog says that of all their filaments, Flex Mark 7 is "the most flexible, but it requires a perfect calibration of the printer". Well, I didn't do anything special at all - I was printing PLA production parts on the machine, whacked in the flexible stuff without changing anything except temperature, and just started printing. That gives you an idea how well well this combo can perform!
"Character is doing what's right when nobody's looking." - JC Watts Jr

delaire

• View Profile
Re: Raftaway 1.1.0 Released, Adds Speed Multiplier
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 05:43:02 PM »
😲😲😲 can't wait to test my TPU 👏👏

additive3d

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 06:07:43 AM »
hello,

This release works very, very well with PLA with a speed multiplier of 0.60, especially with PolyMax.

Many thanks to 0xdeadbeef.

additive3d

0xdeadbeef

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 01:38:46 PM »
Glad to hear that it's useful.
Since nobody reads the manual anyway, I'd also like to point out that the ZCode created after raft removal should be displayer correctly in Z-Suite 1.7.x now. When the raft was removed with <= v1.0.8, Z-Suite tended to suppress the display of the uppermost layers (slightly inconsistent behavior, so it happened usually only for the 1st ZCode loaded after starting Z-Suite). Still happens with Z-Suite 1.6.x but that version also has issues displaying ZCode created by 1.7.x.

delaire

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 04:13:16 AM »
is Raftaway fully working latest Z Suite 1.7.2.1 and Firmware 1.0.5?

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 08:34:53 AM »
is Raftaway fully working latest Z Suite 1.7.2.1 and Firmware 1.0.5?

Yes.

hackerdaz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 05:25:06 PM »
Just being curious. Is it possible to increase printing speed?

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 09:00:25 PM »
Just being curious. Is it possible to increase printing speed?

Not at present. I question the utility of this, as PLA already tends to underextrude sometimes (especially during raft, infill, and support) at "normal" Z-Suite speeds. Maybe ABS could work at higher speeds, hard to say, but I think print quality would suffer. There is a noticeable improvement in surface quality when speed is reduced.

hackerdaz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 09:41:22 AM »
It would be very interesting to see how is the surface quality affected by the speed increment. Also, some materials can be printed using higher speeds. Anyway, I would really like to reduce the printing time in some circumstances, so it would be a useful add-on.

ChunkyPastaSauce

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 02:23:35 PM »
Also will depend on geometry a ton. Shapes with smooth cross section likely printable faster (stuff like vases and other rounded parts). Non smooth shapes probably not as good, as even in 'normal' mode on m200 you see artifacts such as ringing and skew.   Also, the raft structures and supports probably have been highly optimized, so I wouldn't be surprised to see issues there.

M300 has nearly 50% increase in rapids, but they might have made changes in the firmware to allow for that (different acceleration values, lower microstepping for higher torque etc) and maybe higher current motor drivers. Also it's not risk free until someone tests it, increasing motor speed requires faster motor driver switching which will increase switching losses and probably increase motor driver temperatures a bit (it'll probably be ok but still consideration).
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 04:53:16 AM by Z-Owner »

0xdeadbeef

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 01:45:59 PM »
I was also not aware of this until recently, but in m200's "Normal" quality mode, Z-Suite already uses the highest possible (8000mm/min) movement speed for X/Y/Z jumps (movements without extrusion). This seems to be on par with the m300's "Draft speed".
I haven't analyzed this in detail, but a quick comparison between High and Normal quality for the m200 looks a bit like like a comparison between "Normal" and "Draft" Quality on the m300.
E.g. Jumps (no extrusion) are increased from 5400mm/min to 8000mm/min in both cases.
Actually the m200's "Normal" profile seems to be a bit faster than the m300's "Draft" profile.
E.g. it increases the speed for visible infill is increased from 2400mm/min ("High" quality) to 2880mm/min ("Normal quality"), while the m300's "Draft" profile just increases the speed for invisible infill from 2200mm/min to 2400mm/min.
A full comparison of profiles would be a lot of work, but I guess that goes to show that the m200's "Normal" profile might be even a bit faster than the m300 "Draft" profile. To my surprise, to say the least.

So if I should add a 125% maximum speed setting, I'd still need to limit the maximum speed to 8000mm/min...

paulo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 05:06:09 PM »
great news re being able to print ninjaflex! ive had a unused spool for over two years that i try to experiment with but get nowhere.

ive also been playing with the speeds and getting good results from rigid ink pla plus which was previously a bit crap.

hackerdaz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2017, 06:23:54 AM »
I was also not aware of this until recently, but in m200's "Normal" quality mode, Z-Suite already uses the highest possible (8000mm/min) movement speed for X/Y/Z jumps (movements without extrusion). This seems to be on par with the m300's "Draft speed".
I haven't analyzed this in detail, but a quick comparison between High and Normal quality for the m200 looks a bit like like a comparison between "Normal" and "Draft" Quality on the m300.
E.g. Jumps (no extrusion) are increased from 5400mm/min to 8000mm/min in both cases.
Actually the m200's "Normal" profile seems to be a bit faster than the m300's "Draft" profile.
E.g. it increases the speed for visible infill is increased from 2400mm/min ("High" quality) to 2880mm/min ("Normal quality"), while the m300's "Draft" profile just increases the speed for invisible infill from 2200mm/min to 2400mm/min.
A full comparison of profiles would be a lot of work, but I guess that goes to show that the m200's "Normal" profile might be even a bit faster than the m300 "Draft" profile. To my surprise, to say the least.

So if I should add a 125% maximum speed setting, I'd still need to limit the maximum speed to 8000mm/min...

Nice piece of info. I had no idea about the printing speed, in terms of real numbers, of m200. Regarding the maximum speed, is it gonna trigger an error if for any reason printing speed exceeds 8000mm/min?

0xdeadbeef

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 01:29:52 PM »
I'm somewhat sure that 8000mm/min is the maximum that Z-Suite uses for jumps, so I don't think it makes sense to try to push that limit.
Anyway, this is not the maximum printing speed but the maximum movement speed.
I'm not 100% sure but without deeper investigations I would assume the maximum printing speed is 3000mm/min.
It might be possible to increase that a bit, but I'm not sure how much sense it makes given that the extruder won't be able to push enough filament through the nozzle at very high speeds.

hackerdaz

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 07:18:23 PM »
It seems that there is no need to increase printing speed. Thanks again for the valuable info.