Author Topic: ASA filament  (Read 9163 times)

Padraicsdad

• View Profile
ASA filament
« on: December 18, 2016, 03:09:14 PM »
Anyone printed extensively with ASA filament yet? It's said to have high strength and chemical resistance like ABS but better UV and weather resistance so outside items retain shape and color better over time. It prints similarly to ABS but with less print cooling. Can be acetone-smoothed. 

I bought a roll of Fliamentum/Filament@ne natural and made one print with it so far. At recommended settings it printed very easily and the print came out exceptionally well. It didn't seem to smell much, either, but maybe that's just me.

Looking for feedback from those who have used it more before I buy more. Filament@One is offering a 30% year end discount that make the effective price $24 per 750g spool w/free shipping. Code is YEARENDSALE
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 09:51:00 AM by Padraicsdad »

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: ASA filament
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2016, 05:34:30 AM »
Thanks for the report, although "high strength" is not a phrase I associate with ABS. Clean prints and easy support removal, yes, but for strength, PLA (especially PLA+PHA) wins every time in my book. A good example is the Z-Temp bed switch housing - those snap tabs break on the first use if printed in ABS.
"Character is doing what's right when nobody's looking." - JC Watts Jr