Author Topic: Innofil3D PLA - transparent :-(  (Read 13500 times)

luciancd

• View Profile
Innofil3D PLA - transparent :-(
« on: May 31, 2016, 04:41:53 AM »
My first PLA i used with Z-Temp is "Innofil3D PLA". With THE V2 i had a lot of extruder clicking while "mounting" the filament at 220°C and 240°C several times. A print with the V2 would not look very well, so i did not try.

With the ZT-HE i had no problem mounting, but i do have some occasional clicking while printing. I managed to finish a print. But the second print did not go well because of the filament quality.

The filament has a lot of residual stress (is this the right term ?) which causes the filament to jump over the roll & hook itself whereever possible. I also noticed alot of internal stuff going on due to the Z-Temp illumination of the transparent filament. It seems that the filament has a lot of bubbles.

Lucian

luciancd

• View Profile
Re: Innofil3D PLA - transparent :-(
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 04:47:42 AM »
Please also take a look at the attached picture.

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 10:04:30 AM »
For some reason, transparent PLA, especially ones touted as "high quality", seem to be among the most difficult to extrude. The worst ones for me have been a really old (4 years?) spool of Makerbot transparent, and Taulman InPLA. I have succeeded in printing both with the ZT-HE, but ultimately it wasn't even worth the trouble because the prints are brittle, with difficult support removal, and not very transparent anyway. Colored transparent from JustPLA has worked much better for me.
"Character is doing what's right when nobody's looking." - JC Watts Jr

z-renegade

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 05:15:34 PM »
Julia, among the materials I tested with the ZTHE protytype there was also Inofil PLA natural wich is IMO the same as transparent.
It could be printed without issue, 240° is definitely too high. the spool was rotting over a year in my closet.

Prints are not nice because Inofil is no high quality PLA filament to me (ABS might be better).

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 07:59:30 PM »
I'm not at all sure "natural" is the same thing as "transparent". I have a number of "natural" (milky/ivory color) filaments, and they pretty much all print great. When they try to make a true, clear, transparent polymer blend, however, things are different.
"Character is doing what's right when nobody's looking." - JC Watts Jr

z-renegade

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 01:48:08 AM »
I checked it, it is the same: https://www.igo3d.com/en/neutral-transparent-innofil3d-pla-1-75mm.html

The English page names it transparent, German article description is 'natural transparent', label on spool is 'natural'.

luciancd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 02:44:36 AM »
i think the clicking that occured while printing with the zt-he came from the nozzle being too near to the printbed. i did not use the shim-thing

z-renegade

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 05:55:29 AM »
yes, I think that was the reason :-)