Author Topic: Strongest material holy grail  (Read 14727 times)

paulo

• View Profile
Strongest material holy grail
« on: October 18, 2016, 03:23:46 AM »
I doubt I'm the only one but still have spent countless hours and money trying to find the strongest material. Fit what I generally do the parts I produce are not generally flat and regularly require support so support removal is important.

Materials I've tried.
Z abs. Basic and brittle
Z .ultrat. Best compromise of quality, consistency and strength.
Z pcabs. Really good but only comes in ivory and can split on the layers.
Z petg can be really strong if printed as single part but hard to remove support
Z hips. Pretty similar to z abs.
Colorfabb xt cf - comes very hard with hard material support. Can be brittle. Really good for gears
Colorfabb ht - the strongest material I've found but really hard to remove support and raft.
Poly max- I've experimented a bit but it seems very similar to z ultrat but with harder to remove support
Pc max - no played with enough but has been hard to remove support.

My conclusion after all this is the fundamental weakness is either the layers delaminates through stress or the depositing of material is so good that the material is truly welded but results in hard to remove support.

Before buying the m200 I was quite close to buying the inventure but that has only the one material still. However if the inventure could print colorfabb ht with its dissovable material may well be the best thing ever.

The only other thing is post processing. I've tried baking prints but that dries the material out so much that it is brittle. I've tried chemicals but that is messy. I've thought about boiling parts but not got around to it yet.

Thoughts anyone?

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Strongest material holy grail
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 08:59:14 AM »
I suggest you give regular colorFabb PLA+PHA a try. It's very strong, a lot less brittle than regular PLA, and when printed at 195-200ยบ, support removal is usually quite easy. Meltink also makes PLA+PHA and it's less expensive, but I'd start with colorFabb.

3dom's glass-filled PLA is also extremely strong, dense, and stiff, but you may need to use a 0.5mm nozzle to avoid clogs.

Proto-Pasta's carbon-fibre PLA is very stiff, but "strength" is a catch-all term and I'm not sure it will meet your particular requirements.

And then there's the new glass-wool-filled polypropylene from Nanodax, but I'm not sure if it's available yet and it also may have too much flex for your application. Haven't done much support with it yet.

I'm surprised you find UltraT as "strong" as PolyMax. In my experience PolyMax is much stronger, but yes, support removal can be difficult.

The key to support removal is often printing at as low a temperature as possible while maintaining layer bonding.
"Character is doing what's right when nobody's looking." - JC Watts Jr

MikeHenry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 07:01:56 PM »
Julia - why do you prefer colorFabb PLA+PHA over Meltink's PLA+PHA?

I've been using Meltink's filament lately and have yet to try colorFabb's so maybe the difference will be obvious in use, but so far MeltInk's prints have been mostly quite good.

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 07:31:32 PM »
There's only so much time to do comparisons, and habit is strong. I have done some good prints with Meltink's PLA+PHA and have nothing against it, I just have more experience with colorFabb, and sometimes (often) I just need something to come out right without a lot of experimentation, so I go with what I know best. Meltink is certainly a lot less expensive for U.S. users.
"Character is doing what's right when nobody's looking." - JC Watts Jr

MikeHenry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 05:58:12 PM »
Thanks - I understand completely about lack of time to experiment.  I recently printed 25+ parts in Z-PETG because some were subject to warping and then discovered how well PLA+PHA does and re-printed all of them in that filament to much better success.  I need to find a test part that is quick to print to test out new (to me) filaments, preferably something that takes less than an hour and is typical of the mechanical stuff I usually do.

paulo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 11:36:05 AM »
Ive tried colorfabb pla/pha and yes its really strong and prints great with ztemp although it can be hard to remove support. i might go back to it and experiment. ive realised that the latest release of Zsuite has put the pause function back in. ive found this to work well with colorfabb ht and removing the raft.

ive only tried polymax on a small sample with direct comparison to an ultrat print. it failed in a similar way when i tried to break it. it even whited out when stressed.

learning all the time! cheers guys

FrankJScott

• View Profile
Top Product Tips
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2024, 02:06:31 PM »
Please try Google before asking about Excellent Product Blog 7_595dd

FrankJScott

• View Profile
High Rated Product Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2024, 06:36:57 PM »
Please try Google before asking about Updated Product Info c00d2fd

FrankJScott

• View Profile
Great Botox Treatment Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2024, 08:26:51 PM »
In reply to the guy inquiring about how often botox injections, botox after 3 months, how long does it take botox to start working, how much for unit of botox, what wrinkles does botox work on, 11 botox before and after, botox for face wrinkles, botox to take effect, before after forehead botox, botox how many times a year,  I highly recommend this right here for botox treatment details or new product similar to botox, botox in the area, wrinkles in forehead botox before and after, how much per botox unit, having botox for the first time, how much should botox cost per unit, how much does one unit of botox cost, botox for face wrinkles, the new botox, how many units of botox for each area, alongside all this bonuses about botox treatment tips as well as how long does botox for crows feet last, how much do facial botox injections cost, is dermal filler the same as botox, cost for forehead botox, where can i get botox today, where to do botox on face, first botox treatment, how often do you have to get botox done, long lasting botox, what all can botox be used for, alongside all this click this about botox treatment forum which is also great. Also, have a look at this excellent botox treatment url alongside all how often should i get botox injections, xeomin compared to botox, are dermal fillers botox, how much is botox for face, areas to get botox, botox injections used for, women botox, what does botox do to your forehead, best areas for botox on face, when does botox take effect, and don't forget this experienced about botox treatment url with botox for the forehead cost, filler without botox, does botox last, how long to botox injections last, botox and frown lines, botox mouth area, botox websites, men's forehead wrinkles botox, botox crows feet how many units, treatment botox,  for good measure. Check more @ Useful Botox Treatment Website 00d2fd2