Author Topic: PolyMax raft removal  (Read 16569 times)

MikeHenry

• View Profile
PolyMax raft removal
« on: June 21, 2016, 01:02:14 PM »
I ran my first prints with PolyMax yesterday and the raft seems much more difficult to remove than Z-ABS - are there settings or procedures that can be used to improve this?

I'm using a Rev 2 M200 with:

- FW 1.0.3,
- Zsuite 1.0.5.2,
- the 2015 Z-Temp with a 22k resistor on the bed switch
- ZT-HE with 0.3 mm nozzle
- Bed heating off
- No shim
- (-80) Z-Temp offset on Z-ABS sliced file at 0.19 µ (I think)
- Orange PolyMax (I also have red and black that can be tried if color makes a difference.)

So far, I've tried printing a filament clip, and a little 2.25 D x4 W x 2.25-in H open box.  The raft on the box seemed to be a little easier to remove about 12 hrs after printing but didn't want to budge right after printing.  The raft was pretty easy to separate from the print bed.

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: PolyMax raft removal
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 09:56:31 PM »
Yes, raft removal from Polymax can be challenging. You don't mention fans - 100% or Auto fan, and dual fans, might help. You have to somehow manage to get a toehold between the part and raft, either by twisting or digging with a chisel. Once you can get the edge of a  good sharp scraper under there, put the part against a bench hook or other fixture so you can give the scraper a hard whack - often it will all pop off in one piece or something close to it.
"Character is doing what's right when nobody's looking." - JC Watts Jr

MikeHenry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 03:43:21 PM »
Thanks - I was using dual fans at 100%.  Is it possible that a shim would help, maybe less than the 0.5 mm shim included with the Z-Temp?  How about raftless printing (with ZSuite 1.4.1)?  I managed to get all but one small piece of the raft off of the 2-1/4x4 open box after waiting a few more hours but that was probably due more to finding the magic spot than anything else.  I'll be trying some Octave PLA black right after a longer filament spool holder gets printed.  The PolyMax print itself looks really good so it would be nice to get this working reliably. 

It probably doesn't make a difference, but it looks like my CPU fan has partially or completely failed.  That will get replaced tomorrow.

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 03:54:00 PM »
A shim may well help make the raft easier to remove, and I'm pretty sure adhesion won't be a problem. I doubt I've ever used 190µ with PolyMax, I would always go for 290µ for strength and speed. I've done some pretty big, flat parts (2 x 4" table leg bottoms) and have always been able to pop the raft off pretty easily with a scraper once I could get under it. Horizontal support elsewhere on a part is probably a different (and worse) story.
"Character is doing what's right when nobody's looking." - JC Watts Jr

MikeHenry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 06:17:39 PM »
Thanks, I'll try 290µ first and then maybe a shim

paulo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 11:40:48 AM »
you could try a pause after the raft has printed ie on 0%. this has helped alot with another similar material for me. This allows the material to cool a little so there is less of a weld when the print layers start.

MikeHenry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 06:47:02 PM »
Thanks Paolo, I'll try that next time I use PolyMax.

gabuzome

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 02:59:53 PM »
Does anyone try the trick to put the piece in the freezer for a quarter or half an hour?

For me its ok with blueprint or Z glas material as well as for abs on very small parts.

If it can help!  8)
Tomorrow will be another day !

FrankJScott

• View Profile
Top Rated Product Guide
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2024, 09:09:50 AM »
Please try Google before asking about High Rated Product Site d2fd292

FrankJScott

• View Profile
Top Product Blog
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2024, 07:10:01 PM »
Please try Google before asking about Best Product Tips 7bd7530

FrankJScott

• View Profile
Excellent Zlate Mince Site
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2024, 10:04:43 PM »
To the man talking about investi?ní zlato a st?íbro, s zlato, ?eské zla?áky, cena zlata za 1 gram, výkup st?íbrných mincí, vývoj zlata na trhu, zlato a st?íbro, ?nb nákup zlata, výkup st?íbra brno, cena st?íbra výkup,  I highly suggest this new zlate mince advice or investi?ní zlato ?eská mincovna, stribro vykup, zlatý standard, cena unce st?íbra, ?eské mince cena, pam?tní medaile, graf zlato 100 let, cena investi?ního zlata graf, cesko zlato, zlato graf 20 let, and don't forget this she said on zlate mince blog and don't forget cena st?ibra, cena zlata na trhu, 10g zlato, mince numismatika, kurz investi?ního zlata, zlaté slitky, investicni zlato cnb, grafy zlata, výkup st?íbra brno, cena zlata graf, not to mention this cool training on zlate mince url which is also great. Also, have a look at this updated zlate mince link and don't forget výkup zlata praha 1, cena zlato gram, zlato prodej praha, zlato cena burza, narodna mincovna, výkup pam?tních mincí, mince nebo slitky, mince ceny, banky zlate, 20 korun ceskych, and don't forget this top zlate mince forum with investi?ní zlato kde koupit, cena gram st?íbra, zlatá cihla váha ?nb, 1 oz stribro cena, cena zlata a st?íbra, mince ?eská národní banka, gram zlata cena, mince nebo slitky, zlaté mince výkup, nové mince,  for good measure. Check more @ New Yak Wool Winter Layers Guide 3000f5_