Author Topic: Colorfabb woodfill  (Read 11009 times)

JeX2

• View Profile
Colorfabb woodfill
« on: June 18, 2016, 06:18:11 AM »
Hello,
I ordered woodfill yesterday. I had read from the colorfabb website that woodfill must print with a layerhight between 0.29 mm and 0.25mm. Have some one made experience with this filament? Can I print under 0.2mm layerhight?

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Colorfabb woodfill
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 10:17:28 AM »
There are (or were at one time) two flavors of WoodFill: Coarse and Fine. Coarse requires at least a 0.5mm nozzle to prevent clogs. I've used Fine successfully at 190µ layer thickness but I would normally use 290µ. 195 - 205º recommended.
"Character is doing what's right when nobody's looking." - JC Watts Jr

JeX2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 07:16:17 AM »
So i made my first Tests. The results were not good. It seems that the feeder gear don't grap the filament enough. Because of that the filament don't extrude to the nozzle -> hotend was printing in the air.  But when i pushed the filerment with my fingers it extruded again. I try to replace the extruder gear with a mk8 gear. Hope it grap the filament better.

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 10:18:06 AM »
You have to make sure there's no tension or drag on the filament. Don't use the rear spool mount and PTFE tube - use an overhead feed and a short tube.

If it still slips you can replace the 7x3x3 ball bearing with an 8x3x3 printed "bearing". I print the bearing in Taulman PCTPE because it's soft and has low friction (at 8mm OD it might not turn very well).

JeX2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2016, 10:07:14 AM »
I give up and  will sale the filament. I don't want to modify my extruder. I will give Polymaker Polywood a try. Thank you for your advice Julia!

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 10:28:03 AM »
EasyWood from Form Futura is my favorite wood material, prints reliably and available in a great variety of "species". But with any wood material you need to make sure there's no tension on the filament, because they all tend to be soft and rough. PolyWood is cool, but not really wood.