Author Topic: Form Futura HDglass PETG  (Read 9482 times)

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Form Futura HDglass PETG
« on: June 14, 2016, 11:08:52 AM »
I'm not a big fan of PETG, but I have to test as many materials as possible. This was also my first experience using the Z-PETG profile in Z-Suite, with some interesting results. I ran two test prints, with everything identical except the slicer profile - one with PETG profile and one with Z-ABS profile, using 190µ layers, fast speed, normal seam, Auto fan, 0 offset for PETG profile (255º) and -20º for Z-ABS profile.

The material extrudes fine. I had one or two clicks while loading but I think that's probably because I had used Up ABS in the nozzle just before or maybe because the load cycle starts at only 240º. Form Futura says 215º - 250º but I haven't experimented with lower temperatures.

- The nominal temperature of the Z-PETG profile is 255º.
- The PETG profile uses little or no bed heat, but it only offers 140 and 190µ layer settings, so don't throw away your bed heat switch yet :)
- Surface finish is about the same.
- Stringing seems a little worse with the PETG profile, somewhat surprisingly.
- Raft removal was much easier with the PETG profile. I think the fans may run faster (using Auto) with the PETG profile.
- Precision of tall thin structures and pointy structures is better with ABS.
- One really big difference is the spacing of zig-zag support. With the Z-ABS profile the support is spaced 3.8mm apart, but with the PETG profile it's only 1.8mm - interesting!

In limited testing, I definitely like this PETG better than MakerGeeks' PETG, it looks better and has easier raft/support removal.

http://www.formfutura.com/formfutura-175mm-hdglass-see-through-black.html
"Character is doing what's right when nobody's looking." - JC Watts Jr

MikeHenry

• View Profile
Re: Form Futura HDglass PETG
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 06:55:11 PM »
Does Z-PETG warp much less than Z-ABS?

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Form Futura HDglass PETG
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 08:52:51 PM »
I haven't tried PETG on any warp-prone structures so I'm not sure; I think the general wisdom is that it warps less than ABS. I really don't know why people like it so much, it doesn't really do anything for me.
"Character is doing what's right when nobody's looking." - JC Watts Jr