Author Topic: Bottom layer stringing  (Read 15939 times)

evietron

• View Profile
Bottom layer stringing
« on: September 26, 2019, 03:22:00 AM »
I'm getting pretty good results with Z-Sense, particularly since upgrading to the V2 perforated plate which is thicker (and less prone to warping). I've tried a few different height settings. At higher heights, some layers don't stick together. At lower heights, the extruder clicks and material sputters out, particularly on the first layer of the raft. I played with the heights using quarter turns (0.125mm).

I went with the lowest setting that didn't make the extruder click.

The prints look great on the outside surfaces, but the underside is a different story. The attached image is an extreme example, as I've already removed some of the loose strands with an exacto knife. I was actually getting slightly better results with hex infill and a slightly faster speed (+25%), but there were still several loose strands.

I've tried removing the support while hot and after cooled with about the same result.

So the question is ... is this a height issue? retraction? temperature? Is there a good test print that I can use that works well for optimizing ABS? Here are my settings, and this is with a HEPA enclosure using IC3D Red ABS.

Application version: 2.11.1.0
Estimated print time: 1h 46m
Material usage: 8.52m (20g)
Printer: Zortrax M200
Profile: Last settings
Support type: Automatic
Support: 20°
Material: ABS-based filament
Nozzle diameter: 0.4 mm
Layer: 0.19 mm
Quality: Default
Infill: 50%
Fan speed: Auto
Seam: Normal
Outer contours: 0.00
Holes: 0.00
Surface layers Top: 6
Surface layers Bottom: 3
Support Lite: Yes
Smart bridges: Yes
Support offset: No
First layer Density: 100%
First layer Print speed: 100%
First layer Flow ratio: 100%
First layer gap: 0.21 mm
Raft Enabled: Yes
Raft layers: 6
Platform-raft gap: 0.20 mm
Raft Density: 100%
Raft Print speed: 100%
Raft Flow ratio: 100%
Print speed: +0%
Extruder flow ratio: +0%
Top layer infill (%): 100
Bottom layer infill (%): 100
Extrusion temp.: 230
Platform temp.: 105
Retraction speed: 36
Retraction distance: 0.8
Support Density: 4.00 mm
Gap XY: 0.31

« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 10:07:02 PM by evietron »

evietron

• View Profile
Re: Bottom layer stringing
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 03:21:01 PM »
A bit of progress ... I read some other posts by Julia which said that it is normal to have some clicking on the first raft layer. Then I took a look at the ZT-HE maintenance guide, and it turns out I did not properly tighten the nozzle to the tube. I broke a nozzle by trying to remove it (even after it was heated). Then I have been trying to unscrew the metal tube insert without warping it, which I finally achieved by using an adjustable wrench (instead of pliers which I was using before) along with the heated extruder.

There was filament all along the threads of the tube, indicating that the nozzle was not properly tightened. I got some new nozzles which I'll be testing later today.

Evie

evietron

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 10:25:14 PM »
I was able to remove the broken nozzle using a screw extractor: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-No-1-Spiral-Screw-Extractor-A96SE61/205469313

I did this while the extruder was hot.

Followed proper instructions for tightening the ZT-HE, and whalla! Back printing again at the lower height setting. Bottom layers are much improved in quality.

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 04:18:05 PM »
Interesting. I was going to suggest trying some older version(s) of Z-Suite. I have no experience with 2.x and use either 1.10 or 0096. As of a year or two ago many people thought 0096 gave the best results, but maybe the more recent versions have improved, I dunno.
"Character is doing what's right when nobody's looking." - JC Watts Jr

evietron

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 03:18:14 AM »
I'm a bit scared to go back in versions. I don't think it will help my cause.

What I've done is reduced Surface Layers for the bottom down to 1, and now the stringing is much less prone to coming off when I remove the support material.

Evie

evietron

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 06:42:39 PM »
This is the bottom layer using 1 surface layer. Rough texture is fine as this is on the object interior. A small amount of acceptable stringing. I'd say this is production quality!

This is using ZT-HE and Z-Sense.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 10:08:19 PM by evietron »

mandatjew

• View Profile
    • Superlative Сasual Dating - Actual Women
Superlative Сasual Dating - Genuine Ladies
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2024, 01:20:23 AM »
Turn casual moments into unforgettable dates – choose the best casual dating site!
Real Women
Premier Сasual Dating

DanielFaurb

• View Profile
Zortrax transitioning to a print farm?
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2024, 01:34:14 PM »
¿Cuáles crees que serían los beneficios y desafíos de que Zortrax se convierta en una granja de impresión? ¿Crees que esto podría tener un impacto en la calidad de las impresiones y la satisfacción de los clientes?