Author Topic: Replacing a Zortrax Extruder Cable  (Read 17792 times)

FoRo

• View Profile
Re: Replacing a Zortrax Extruder Cable
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2022, 11:05:17 PM »
Thats what I have going. ive just isolated the rest of the pins.

Odie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2022, 01:25:36 AM »
Hi there,

I've attached two diagrams to try to explain what needs to be done. Again, it's just switching the positions of the top row with the bottom row. Also, do take care to make sure the connect key/notch is matched up first. Your first photo looks like the keys might not be lining up.

IIRC, the printer won't stop complaining about a broken cable until you've connected all the pins. I don't think you can just test with 4 pins connected as you've attempted in the photo.

FoRo

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2022, 12:50:08 PM »
Hi Odie,

Yes, I tried exactly that. I have not connected all the cables in my first picture bc it was just a practice run, I've switched over all the cables and connectors several times, I think where I made a mistake was the cable the wrong way. If you can see the pink line is on the left side of the cable, but it should be on the right side on the cable.

Based on your diagram I need to align the clipping pins to with the cable and the connector on the PCB board, AND theeeennn reverse the cables. 

I will give it a try today and will let you know. once again that's for your help and prompt responses :)

Just to clarify, all the pins need to be reversed, there are not exceptions on any of the pins that need to stay not reversed?

Odie

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2022, 08:45:50 PM »
Yeah, all pins need to be reversed.

If you want to make double sure, you can always try to examine the connectivity of the original cable with a multimeter. =)

FoRo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2022, 11:07:26 PM »
Yesssss it worked, it was my mistake in the end (I practically made a reverse to a reverse cable lol. :) Thanks you sooo MUCH my friend.
Here is my final product, and the cables and connectors are not going anywhere :)

Now I'm facing a different problem, but I'm going to troubleshoot it, and make a new topic on the forum. :)

Thanks again for your help Odie.

Odie

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2022, 11:24:31 PM »
Glad you got it to work!

Btw, you might want to move the adapter to the main board side, under the printer enclosure. Since the print head is moving around so much, I wonder if putting the adapter there might cause it to fatigue and break over time.

If you have the adapter on the main board side, it wouldn’t get stressed from the movement and the most you might have to do is to replace the IDC cable, which much less work than assembling another adaptor.

=)

FoRo

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2022, 11:34:08 PM »
Yes indeed, that was my plan all along, I've actually wanted to advice you to do the same :)

I'm just waiting for it to "settle" in with all that electrical tape so the pins would not move easily. I'll do that when my next issue will get resolved. I will post a new topic about it thus not flooding this particular discussion. Hopefully it will be helpful for all the other people who are looking for answers to a problem that I've had :)

Thanks again for your help.

JasonMc

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2023, 08:10:53 PM »
Hello everyone, I have just picked up a M200 for cheap with a broken cable and I am trying to make up the replacement.  I initially misread this thread and thought that the connectors at either end were just flipped, and that unfortunately resulted in letting the magic smoke out of the z-temp module, which I should have waited to install after the base printer was working again.  >:(

So after re-reading the instructions, my understanding is that each pair of pins are flipped.  1 -> 11, ... 10 -> 20 (as per attached image).  So I took each pair and flipped them and confirmed that they are all correctly connected with a multimeter.   The machine now boots with no magic smoke  :) and I can turn the upper and lower fans on and off, but if I attempt to heat the nozzle or load/unload material then the machine reboots.   Do you think that this is a wiring issue, or have I likely damaged the board with the first error?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:
It just randomly started working!  Perhaps one of the ends wasn't seated correctly.   RIP Z-Temp, but happy I didn't kill the printer!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 08:54:19 PM by JasonMc »

ivanmt

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2024, 04:11:29 AM »
I've attached two diagrams to try to explain what needs to be done. Again, it's just switching the positions of the top row with the bottom row. Also, do take care to make sure the connect key/notch is matched up first. Your first photo looks like the keys might not be lining up.

Im beggining to have issues with the ribbon cable, and its just so hard to get an original replacement. So Im thinking of making my own replacement cable.
As for the whole issue of pin numbering and switched rows.
Will flipping one of the cable heads do the job???? Check picture attached.

Edit: Upon further inspection, it would not only be necessary to flip it to get the right orientation of the connectors key, but actually to cross the cables before crimping them as to flip pin positions, check last picture attached, I believe this will achieve the desired result.

Second Edit:  IT WORKS PERFECTLY!!!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 12:25:21 AM by ivanmt »

mandatjew

• View Profile
    • Superlative Сasual Dating - Actual Women
Super Сasual Dating - Genuine Females
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2024, 01:36:34 AM »
Connect casually with like-minded individuals on the ultimate dating platform.
Legitimate Girls
Top-notch Сasual Dating