Author Topic: Printing with PLA  (Read 7999 times)

JediJoe

• View Profile
Printing with PLA
« on: March 28, 2017, 09:08:22 PM »
I have just started printing with PLA. I have Z-Sense, Temp and HotEnd but currently only a single default Fan, which could be why I am experiencing what I describe below when printing with PLA.

When printing smaller objects I have noticed previous layers curling upwards. As the nozzle passes over the previous layer to deposit new material it pushes the curling area back down until it passes but then curls up again. My guess is the part is not hardening quick enough, or could it be that it is cooling too quick and warping? I am hoping anyone might be able to suggest a few tips for eliminating this. Short of buying two new Noctua's that is :D Although I will get around it I am but hoping I can print successfully with PLA in the meantime.

Thanks

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Printing with PLA
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 11:28:42 AM »
Some people try more fan to help with this issue but the best solution imo is to print multiple objects so that the layers have sufficient time  to cool before the next pass.

Also, some say that insulating the block can reduce curling by reducing the heat radiating from the block onto the print. See this:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1377893
"Character is doing what's right when nobody's looking." - JC Watts Jr

JediJoe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 10:49:43 PM »
Thanks Julia. Testing with the object from thingiverse. With one object it printed terribly, two a little better while 4 was almost a perfect print, almost. I also added the insulation to the block but noticed no difference. I am currently printing out the sliding dual fan parts and will add the two noctua's for print cooling. And I have some new sample PLA coming. Really appreciate the help.

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 10:53:48 PM »
Hope the sliding mount works for you - it's definitely a work in progress and I've had trouble with the thin walls and tight fit of the rails, but I've had people say it works perfectly for them. I just haven't had time to go back and tweak it :(
"Character is doing what's right when nobody's looking." - JC Watts Jr