Author Topic: can only print PLA at 235deg  (Read 9559 times)

brett

• View Profile
can only print PLA at 235deg
« on: February 04, 2017, 07:06:45 PM »
A while ago I bought a Z-temp and all other equipment to upgrade my m200 and so far I love it.

Today I tried to print PLA for the first time and it started clicking constantly.
For other materials (like woodfill) I increased the temp 10deg and it stopped so I did the same for the PLA.
It stopped clicking at -40 with ABS profile. The recommended temp is between 180-210.
So now Im printing PLA with Z-temp Yellow so at 235deg and the strange thing is the print came out perfectly.

Is it a problem or can I print happily ever after at way to high temperatures and what can be the reason?

Further info latest software, new 0.4mm nozzle

PLA material used:
http://www.trideus.be/nl/pla-sparkling-silver.html

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: can only print PLA at 235deg
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 07:23:57 PM »
Hi Brett,

With ZT-HE, you should be able to print almost any PLA at 200 - 210º, maybe even 195º. At 235º I'm afraid you may find raft and support removal to be difficult. If you're not using ZT-HE and using the Zortrax hot end instead, most brands of PLA will click like crazy and there's nothing you can do except raise the temperature.

We have found that some of our ZT-HE nozzles were coming from the factory with tiny metal chips in the orifice from machining, so recently we have begun poking all of them with a 0.4mm wire before shipping.

Other causes of clicking can be too much pull/drag/tension on the filament due to rear spool mounting and friction, or worn threads on the feeder bearing shaft screw.

A very few brands of PLA, like Taulman InPLA and Polymaker PolyPlus, do seem to give clicking problems at low temperature no matter what, but the ICE PLA you're using specifically says that it prints at low temperatures.
"Character is doing what's right when nobody's looking." - JC Watts Jr

brett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 07:43:28 PM »
Im using the ZT-HE so that cant be the problem.
I use a side mount and during the clicking I released all tension from the feed material so its not that either.

When the next print is finished I will poke it and see if it has an effect.
If that doesn't work I will try to replace the nozzle.

I attached an image of the print ad 235deg with 0.19 layer height. Can it hurt to print at to high temperatures?

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 07:45:11 PM »
No, it won't "hurt" anything to print PLA at 235º :)

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 07:48:22 PM »
If you've previously done a lot (several kg) of printing with ZT-HE at high (>260º) temperature, then the PTFE tube may be degraded and in need of replacement. If it doesn't come out easily, you can simply drill it out with a 3mm bit.