Author Topic: Z-Temp Model 2015 Software Compatibility  (Read 15039 times)

YosemiteSam

• View Profile
Z-Temp Model 2015 Software Compatibility
« on: June 01, 2016, 09:03:55 AM »
Quoted from Legacy Manual for Z-Temp 2015 Model:

The Z-Temp™ is warranted to perform as described when used as specified herein with the
M200 printer together with Z-Suite 1.0 or earlier and M200 firmware 0.0.5 or earlier

What can I do to make my Z-Temp Model 2015 and bed heater switch compatible with the latest firmware?

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Z-Temp Model 2015 Software Compatibility
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 10:55:19 AM »
To prevent "Unexpected extruder temperature drop" errors when using 2015 Z-Temp with M200 firmware 1.x, you should remove C8 from the PCB as shown in the attached photo. You can cut it out with sharp cutters (cut downward in the center of the part to break it in half), or remove it with a soldering iron.

For the bed switch, the original 1K Ohm resistor that's inside the heat shrink tube should be replaced with 20K or 22K Ohms to prevent the printer from stopping when the switch is in the "Off" position when using firmware 1.x. The procedure for changing the resistor is detailed here: http://www.z-temp.co/changing-the-bed-heat-switc.html
"Character is doing what's right when nobody's looking." - JC Watts Jr

YosemiteSam

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 12:29:03 PM »
Thanks Julia. How do I remove the knob from the rotary switch? I am afraid that I will damage the rotary switch if I try to pull it off. And when I remove it, how do I know in which position I have to put it before I install the knob back on?

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 12:36:08 PM »
You can just pull the knob off, it shouldn't damage the switch, we've done it many times. When you replace the knob it's a good idea to support the back of the PCB so it doesn't flex from the pressure. There is an arrow on the end of the switch shaft, just align that with the indicator on the printed knob. To make it simple, set it to 12 o'clock before removing the knob, then just point the knob to 12 o'clock when you reinstall it.

YosemiteSam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 01:21:03 PM »
Ah, I couldn't have seen the picture in your post when I read it because I wasn't logged in. Logged in and responded to the post still without seeing it with the top "Reply" button.

Knob removed.

milosz

• View Profile
    • UAU project
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 08:12:54 AM »
Hey Julia, I'm experiencing the "Unexpected extruder temperature drop" error while using Raft Away (with raft it doesn't happen). I have the 2015-16 Z-Temp version 1.1. Any ideas on what to do? There is no C8 to remove on my PCB :)

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 10:09:05 AM »
I think I saw one of these a few weeks ago myself, but after relaunching the print it was fine. Probably something to do with the way the PID loop sometimes overshoots at the start of prints, e.g. you set it for 210º but while waiting for the bed to heat, the extruder will go to 230º. I think the firmware ignores this when printing a raft but without raft it will generate an error. Since the overshoot is fairly unpredictable you can just try again, or you can babysit the PID loop by setting your temp a bit lower at launch to compensate for the overshoot and then increasing it to the desired target right at launch.

milosz

• View Profile
    • UAU project
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 11:19:10 AM »
The error is now happening almost every time i try printing with RaftAway. I tried what you suggested - unfortunately it didn't help. The curious thing is that the error happens different layers for different objects. It depends on the printing time rather than printing height. The temperature drop is also visible on the Z-temp LED - it turns to blue, just before the error. I'll try experimenting some more when i have time, for now it's back to printing on raft for me :)

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 10:11:00 PM »
What are the fan(s) doing while this is going on? When the fan or fans kick in, temperature of an uninsulated hot end can drop by as much as 20ºC. For this reason I use little or no fan when printing PLA raftless, and I've gone back to Z-Suite 1.7 due to 1.8's fan craziness.

milosz

• View Profile
    • UAU project
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 06:59:46 AM »
Getting back to Z-Suite 1.7 & reducing the fans to 20% did the trick :) For now at least. I'll experiment with insulating the hot end also. Thanks for the tips!

clocker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 05:37:33 PM »
Anybody have link to Z-Suite 1.7?

Julia Truchsess

• Administrator
    • View Profile

clocker

• View Profile