Author Topic: Cannot get rid of clicking!  (Read 6621 times)

Swig

• View Profile
Cannot get rid of clicking!
« on: December 23, 2016, 12:29:02 PM »
Hey so first I bought just the Ztemp control unit and tried to print with some PLA my friend had and the extruder motor was just clicking like crazy and I couldn't get it to print at all. So I went all in and bought the ZT-HE and it just arrived. I installed it and now I am still getting clicking both during loading the material and printing (doing both with an offset of -70C from the Z-ABS profile). Please help!

At this point could I have messed up the motor and I should pull it apart to make sure the gear is securely set on the shaft?

*Well I just took apart the extruder motor and the gear is securely attached to the motor so theres no way that is slipping. I just printed parts with ABS least night with Ztemp set to 0 so the printer is in working condition.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 01:05:19 PM by Swig »

Padraicsdad

• View Profile
Re: Cannot get rid of clicking!
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 05:27:38 PM »
Did you use the shim as per the directions to make the nozzle-to-bed gap 0.5mm greater than the M200 sets it? If not, that clicking, which is failure to feed, will certainly happen when you try to print PLA. And once it has gone on for awhile, it may have created a shaving that is now trapped between the feed gear and the housing, preventing the gear from turning. However, if you are now successfully printing Z-ABS your extruder is feeding and your nozzle is not jammed.

That leaves temperature. If you sliced using the Z-ABS profile, your M200 should try to hold ~270-275℃. A -70℃ Z-Temp offset should give you a nozzle temp of about 200-205℃, fine for PLA. OTOH, if you sliced using UltraT or another Zortrax profile, using -70 may be holding your nozzle temp too low. Do you have a digital volt meter around? If so, plug the provided lead into your Z-Temp and the DVM so you can read the nozzle temp.

The good news is, the more you print PLA and other filament types the more you will love your ZT-HE. So, although it didn't solve your current problem it's not money wasted - all you did was make an investment that will save you lots of problems in the future.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Jeff