Z-Temp Products > Materials Compatibility

Best filament for least warping but still glue-able?

(1/5) > >>

MikeHenry:
I tried to print a rocket fin that is about 150 mm tall, 225 mm long and about 12 mm wide.  The fin is tapered so the best way to print it seems to be with the 12 mm wide face on the platform, making it tall and wide with a narrow cross section.

Z-ABS warps pretty badly on the bottom as might be exepcted, even with glue stick and ABS juice, but the main problem is that it cracks in the X-Y plane about part way up the print.  As I understand it the part will be used in a model rocket that is powered by those Estes rocket engines, so I assume that it needs to have good strength and resistance to delamination and probably decent weather-ability.  It also needs to be gluable with dowels or pins.

I thought I'd try some Polymaker PolyMax PLA but am not sure if that can be glued.

Is there a better filament to try?  Something with a selection of colors would be nice, but that's not a deal breaker.

Julia Truchsess:
Any PLA including PolyMax would work fine, without ABS's warping and splitting. As for glue-ability, something like Gorilla Glue outta hold it, or epoxy.

luciancd:
I was told that there is going to be an z-suite update allowing a higher infill very soon.
This could also solve your xy cracking problem.

Lucian

Julia Truchsess:
I doubt that higher infill will fix layer splitting. If ABS wants to warp, it will find a way.

z-renegade:
more infill = more massive print structures
the more massive the print structures, the more bending force from shrinkage
the more bending force, the more splitting / warping

shrinkage always occurs, no slicer version ever will cure your objects design

try less infill or less shrinking filament or adjust your design or a combination of all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version